This week’s Monday Mission.
- Do you care for poetry? Do you have a favorite poem? Care to share some of it?
I have a number of competitors for favorite poem. Most of them are here. My all-time fave is proably either “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” or just about anything by The Earl of Rochester. Samples of both:
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us and we drown.
Were I (who to my cost already am
One of those strange, prodigious creatures, man)
A spirit free to choose, for my own share,
What case of flesh and blood I pleased to wear,
I’d be a dog, a monkey or a bear,
Or anything but that vain animal
Who is so proud of being rational.
–The Earl of Rochester (“Satire Against Reason and Mankind
Of course, I’m also quite fond of Donne and a number of other poets. It’s hard to pick just one.
- What does it take to “rock your world?”
Not a whole lot, apparently. Just look at my collection of Fan Sites or ask any of my friends how many artists/musicians/whatever I’ve said “Dood! He’s THE MAN!” about. I’m a very enthusiastic person, what can I say?
- Have you ever done anything that landed you in financial trouble? Has somebody else’s action ever caused you financial ruin? What happened?
Nope and nope. Incurring massive student loans is the closest I’ve come.
- Take a stroll down memory lane. There is a song, that every time you hear it, you think of this one person. What’s the song, who is the person, and what memories does it conjure up?
“Halo,” by Depeche Mode, reminds me of the guy I was madly in love with all through college. Mostly it conjures up memories of me being really angsty and miserable. Unrequited love sucks.
- I’ve never cared for football, it was never on in the house growing up and I never developed a “taste” for it. But I’ve always felt like I “should” enjoy it, that I was deficient in some way because I never get excited about things like the Super Bowl (except for the commercials). Are there any occasions when you feel like you are missing out on something that everyone else seems to enjoy?
Constantly. But I enjoy things that other people don’t get, so it all evens out. :)
- A few of the phrases that get under my skin are “take it to the next level” (which was used when I was told why I was being replaced at Fox by someone who could do that) and “you just don’t get it” (always popular in relationship fights). What phrases “push your buttons” and why?
Hm… not sure. I’ll have to think on that one.
- Do you believe in life after death? What do you believe happens when our time is up?*
I have no idea. I’m very much an agnostic when it comes to that stuff. I do believe that something happens, but whether I think it’s heaven or The Summerland or just blank nothingness depends on who I’m with, how much I’ve had to drink, and how depressed I am.