So Rich has this thing goin’ on where you make a mix CD to sum up 2004. Well, two discs, actually – one of music new to you and one of music that just came out.
My life doesn’t revolve around music all that much, so I don’t really have enough stuff to make up a pair of CDs. I’m making one disc that’s some of both – music new to me and music that’s new. They’re songs I’ve been listening to a lot that sort of sum up the year for one reason or another. Here they are, with comments. Yay me!
New in 2004
- Red Elvises – Venice, USA: Off the newest album, Lunatics & Poets. Groovie song about SoCal.
- Red Elvises – Love Rocket: Also off L&P; good rockin ‘ party song.
- Red Elvises – Juliet: The ultimate aging playa ballad. Also off L&P.
- The Hives – Two-Timing Touch and Broken Bones: Off their (copy protected) new album and thus hard to track down. Still good.
- Roy Zimmerman – America: Great, hopeful, satirical song. mp3 here
New to me in 2004
- Pink – Get This Party Started: One of many acquired via a mix CD from the bf.
- Transplants – Diamonds and Guns: The bf’s mixes strike again.
- The Presidents of the United States of America – Kitty: borrowed the album from the bf and fell in love. PotUSA rock.
- Neutral Milk Hotel – Aeroplane Over the Sea: Via bf mix again. This is a weird, weird song. Really frickin’ weird.
- Weezer – Buddy Holly: Another one from a mix by the bf. Love it!
- Weezer – Undone (Sweater Song): I spent a long time with this one stuck in my head. Also via a bf mix.
- March of the Sinister Ducks: Found via one of Neil Gaiman’s journal entries mp3 here
Themes for 2004
- The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy – Peter Lorre: I’ve always liked this song but listened to it near-obsessively toward the end of 2004.
- Raymond Scott Quintette – Dinner Music for a Pack of Hungry Cannibals: this was my theme song for my NaNoWriMo of 2004, for semi-obvious reasons.
- Wall of Voodoo – Mexican Radio: The last song played on KSJO before they went off the air and were replaced by a Spanish language station. *sigh* KSJO was an institution around here, man. They were on air for 35+ years. Frickin’ Clear Channel.
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Red Right Hand: This song has always gone with Mexican Radio to me, since they’re both on the “Box of Moonlight” soundtrack. I spent part of ’04 trying to come up with a playlist that was in the same vein as these two songs and failed.
- Nine Inch Nails and the Spice Girls – Closer to Spice: My favorite mashup of all time, listened to a LOT in ’04.
- Jack Black – Let’s Get it On: Also something of a theme for me on ’04.
As you’d imagine, putting these in order was something of a nightmare. I finally gave up and just grouped them like that. Want a copy of the CD? email me.