As promised to various and sundry folk, here is my opinion on the new “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” which I saw last night.
This is NOT a formal review because I am still trying to get my head around the flick. This is just a seat-of-pants gut-reaction kind of thing.
- This movie is totally awesome
- If you are a Tim Burton fan, you will almost certainly love it
- ditto if you’re a Johnny Depp fan, although he is totally off his rocker in this one, so if you just like him ‘cos he’s pretty but thought “Sleepy Hollow” was weird and gross, give this a skip
- I love that Willy Wonka reacts to children much the way I do: they clearly give him the creeps and he blatantly loathes the spoiled/annoying/bratty ones (ie, about 80%-90% of all children), but he is capable of liking individual kids like Charlie
- Christopher Lee is OMGSOCOOL in this
- There is a shot of Lee and Depp together that I have GOT to get a photograph of. It is really awesome but I will not discuss it with anybody who hasn’t seen the movie (spoilers, you know).
- The look of the film is AMAZING, although I could have lived without all the digital removal of peoples pores. Seriously, Depp looked plastic in some scenes. He is FORTY YEARS OLD, HE HAS PORES AND WRINKLES, PEOPLE! OMG!
- The music rocks
- There are plenty of jokes for grownups to get (including a hilarious reference to both “2001” and KISS, in the SAME SCENE)
That’s all I’ve got off the top of my head. Time to get back to work.