My mix for 2007 is done! WOO! Now I just have to burn CDs for them as want ’em. As usual, my rules for this were a lot looser than the ones some of my friends use. For a song to merit inclusion in my 2007 mix, it must:
- Have come to my attention one way or another in 2007.
- Have been played over and over by me, or at least gotten stuck in my head a couple times or otherwise made itself really known to me during 2007 (a bunch of this year’s songs are in Guitar Hero III and/or Rock Band (the two games have a fair amount of overlap).
It’s kind of a weird mix. Weirder than usual for me, even. Track list below…
- Deep Purple – Highway Star: This is the opening song for Rock Band, which is an awesome game. It’s a hard song to play, but it always makes me think of the opening video for the game, so I like it.
- Mountain – Mississippi Queen: This is in Rock Band and GHIII both and I like it. It gets stuck in my head a lot. Oh! Mississippi Queen! If you know what I mean! Mississippi Queen! She taught me everything!
- The New Pornographers – The Electric Version: This is in Rock Band and it makes me smile. It’s tricky to play but fun.
- Tenacious D – The Metal: This is in GHIII and is awesome, because it’s fun to play (on Hard, anyway) and I adore the D. Bits of it are in their 2006 movie, but I didn’t really listen to the song intently until GHIII.
- Rage Against the Machine – Bulls on Parade: This is in GHIII and is awesome. It’s one of the songs that is dragging me kicking and screaming into Rage fandom.
- Beastie Boys – Sabotage: This is in Rock Band and GHIII. It’s surprisingly difficult and the lyrics are stupid, but I like it anyway.
- Queens of the Stone Age – 3’s and 7’s: This is in Rock Band and GHIII and is one of my favorite songs in the games. I love all QotSA songs in the games so far, but this is my favorite. Plus, it has a really crazy music video (available through TiVo’s broadband music video service!), which is cool.
- Stephen Ouimette – Devil Went Down to Georgia: This is the last main song in the GHIII solo career and is wicked hard. I haven’t gotten to it yet, but I got to hear Twon play it a few times and I really dig this version of the classic.
- Dragonforce – Through the Fire and the Flames: This ridiculously hard song is in GHIII and is the butt of a lot of my Dragonforce mockery. I do like it, though. Whoa-oh-oh! Whoa-oh-oh! Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oooooohhhhhhh!
- Dethklok – Bloodtrocuted: This is my favorite song off the Dethalbum, which came out in 2007 as a tie-in to the awesome animated show on Adult Swim, Metalocalypse. It’s not from the show, it’s from a line in the show, where Nathan sees a guy get electrocuted when a kleeg light falls into his arterial bleeding and says, “bloodtrocuted, great name for a song” into his personal recorder. And no, I didn’t have to look that up. I am such a Dethklok fangirl.
- Mastodon with King Diamond – Cut You Up With A Linoleum Knife: This was the opening to the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters, which came out in 2007. It is also my favorite pre-movie “buy snacks, don’t litter” movie EVER. EVER EVER EVER. Don’t talk! Watch! Don’t talk! Watch! You came here! Watch it! Don’t like it? Walk out! … Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly! Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease! Video on YouTube!
- Schaffer the Darklord – Supervillain: I got into Schaffer the Darklord when I went to an MC Frontalot concert in 2007 and he was an opening act. He rules.
- Beefy – 1-800-NERDCORE: Beefy is one of my favorite Nerdcore rappers ever. This is off one of his new albums.
- MC Frontalot – I Hate Your Blog: Front released a new album in 2007 and this was on it. It cracks me right up, because it’s actually poking fun at two types of blogosphere folks. Good times.
- MC Lars – Download this Song: How can anybody not love this song? I don’t think it came out in 2007, but 2007 is when I listened to it.
- Beefy – Webcomic Junkie: I am totally a web comic junkie… and have even gotten into some of the strips he mentions in the song after hearing him rap about them.
- Schaffer the Darklord – Cat People: I’m a cat person, so I’m kind of obliged to love this song, right? Tickle her ear and she starts to attack / grabs your wrist with her front paws and kicks with the back.
- 50 Pence – In Da Pub: This guy is awesome. Don’t quite know how to classify him — parody, maybe?
- Michelle Belanger and Nox Arcana – Blood of Angels: I dig Belanger’s podcast Shadowdance and this is the opening music. It got me interested in her music and Nox Arcana’s as well. I think, but am not entirely sure, that I got into Shadowdance in 2007.
- Mike Hightower – Baby Got Back, Gilbert and Sullivan Style: I have played the video for this song for people so many times in 2007. I love it. SO AWESOME.
I’m sorry there isn’t more nerdcore on here, but somehow I didn’t get many new nerdcore albums that jumped out at me in 2007. I downloaded WAY more music than I actually listened to in 2007, which is depressing. I gotta find times when I can listen to music, especially now that my commute is too short to listen to it in the car much (besides which, I am usually listening to podcasts when I drive or bike to work).
So, anyway. If you want a copy of my 2007 mix, lemme know! I will probably burn a bunch and just have them with me when I’ll be seeing folks.