Pottermania Hooooooooo!

So the new Harry Potter book is available today. Cool, yes? Well, yeah, except that I won’t buy the American editions for reasons I won’t go into here.

Spoilers ahoy, don’t read on if you don’t want spoilers. OK? You have been warned! MAJOR SPOILER BELOW.

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e

Anyway. I can hardly wait to read the new book – I’m sure it’ll be as long and sprawling as the last one but I heard that Sirius gets offed (from someone who has their copy and also dislikes him, so I’m sure it’s true) and that the crew Harry’s dad ran with back in his school days really were bullying jocks like I’ve figured for quite a while.

Am I the only one who really thinks Severus Snape wouldn’t have turned out so nasty and “horrible” if Potter the Elder and Sirius hadn’t been mean to him?

I wonder if Rowling also thinks so and will be going into that? Snape’s a good guy, he’s just misunderstood and bitter because he was treated so badly as a kid.

7 Responses to Pottermania Hooooooooo!

1. Fred says:

I just bought the book at Costco. Is there a difference between the American version and the British version? Is there a way you can say it without spoilers? Or perhaps I should just read the damn book and then read your blog entry.

2. Cathryn says:

“Am I the only one who really thinks Severus Snape wouldn’t have turned out so nasty and ‘horrible’ if Potter the Elder and Sirius hadn’t been mean to him?”
    No. No you’re not. While I freely abmit to liking Sirius, it’s always baffled and annoyed me that people persist in thinking of him as a nice guy. I’ve always wanted to say, Hello, he’s not! Look at what he did to Snape! Nice guys don’t pull shit like that. Speaking of Snape, haven’t we learned from him that good guy does *not* always equal nice guy?
    Sigh.

Fred, the main differences are in format – the books’ packaging has been designed to appeal to a younger audience (or to a more immature one, I should say) than the UK editions. They’ve also “Translated” some of the Britishisms.
    Cathryn – preach it, sister! Well, except for liking Sirius. I can’t like anyone who was that horrible to my beloved Severus.
    It’s funny, but for a series that relies so heavily on stereotypes, Snape is really revolutionary. He looks and acts like a villian most of the time, but is actually incredibly courageous and uses that courage for good. I’d like to see @#($& James Potter be a double agent. I’ve reached the point where I benignly tolerate or even cordially dislike a lot of the major characters and chiefly read the books for Snape.

4. Cathryn says:

Actually, as far as the American version of OotP goes, it felt very, very British to me. Things (slang words and phrases, and some grammatical stuff) that would have gotten changed in the previous four got left alone in this one. I would imagine that the publishers noticed that the changes were pissing off us purists.
    I’m still going to buy the UK version, because I have the UK editions of the other four, but I don’t feel like I got cheated with a hollow version. The language felt very authentic. I was much impressed.
    I have more to say about Sirius, but that way lies spoilers, so I’ll wait.

Yeah, I hear they haven’t Americanized the text this time, but am waiting for my UK edition to arrive anyway. :)

6. Jen says:

I bought the American version and to me, it’s very British. I’m enjoying the book immensely though I’ve read some very negative reviews.
    E, what does “snog” mean? (I thought I knew what it meant but the way it’s used in the text doesn’t make a lot of sense to me…)
    Jen

7. Frizzlewort says:

Snog means “to make out”, or later on, to “get laid”.