Well, it’s official. I’m a grown up.
I turn 27 today.
I’m not sure why, but somehow 27 has been the magic number for me – the birthday when you stop being a young adult and are just an adult.
It’s a little scary, especially considering that I don’t have a full-time job or a place of my own (although I have moved out of my parents’ place, and that’s something).
To console myself, I took a look back at the 100 Things meme I did and the 25 things I want to do before I turn 50. I’m doing okay so far, I think.
- Find The One True Job
- Get my sites under control.
- Get truly fluent in Latin
- Write a novel and get it published
- Get a black belt in Aikido
- Learn to speak another language
- Get a motorcycle
See Edward Gorey’s house
- Visit all 50 states, even if only briefly
Be a car’s first owner
- Have a room in my domicile that’s just for
- Get my quotes collection into a database
Get paid to review movies
- Get paid to write fiction
- Own a pair of knee-high boots
- Roadtrip across the country
- Stand on the Great Wall of China
- See the pyramids
- Overcome my fear of programming
- Ride an elephant
- Keep writing in my journal
- Get a hybrid engine car
- Get a flat tummy. Not a sixpack, just flat
Find someone to spend the last 50 years of my
Four out of 25 is pretty good, considering that I really only have to do one a year to be on track. Go me!
I’m grateful that things are going as well as they are – since I’m trying to make it as a writer, I know the going is supposed to be tough. I’m doing well enough to have a new car and take the occasional vacation, and I’ve so far mostly avoided crushing credit card debt, so I’m doing okay. I’m thankful for the friends and family who support me and for my truly awesome boyfriend. I’m thankful for the opportunity to cover things like Cinequest, even though doing so often leaves me so exhausted that composing anything even vaguely coherent is a Herculean task. I’m thankful for my cats and my gardening, and my collections of books and DVDs. I’m thankful that I’m around to celebrate my 27th birthday.
Happy Birthday To Me.